Eclipse Callisto Installed!
Basically, I am at best a casual Eclipse user, as coding is not generally part of my day-to-day job any longer. But I do think it’s pretty cool how easy it is to download and install all of the projects that shipped as part of the Callisto release. I just grabbed the Eclipse SDK 3.2 and every Eclipse plug-in included in Callisto in about 40 minutes from home. And the process was smooth and obvious.
- I went to www.eclipse.org and clicked on the “Callisto is Here” logo on the home page.
- Wayne Beaton and Nate Gervais have been working on the Callisto page, and there are some nice, obvious options to pick from (see pic above). I picked the “I build Java/Web Applications“
- From there I downloaded the Eclipse SDK 3.2, installed and ran it. I think I was ahead of the rush, because the download was pretty quick, even though I picked the Eclipse site rather than be a good citizen and use one of the mirrors.
- After installing the SDK, I started it up and picked “New Updates” off the Welcome page.
- After that, I just picked the Callisto Discovery Site, selected all the projects and let it rip….
The whole process was really simple and straightforward.
I have no idea if this is actually the recommended way to go get the full release, but it worked for me and it was drop-dead easy. Hats off to everyone who worked on this to make it all happen. This is waaaayyyyy cool.